Braised Mushroom with Bok Choy
Dried Shiitake Mushrooms
Dried Shiitake Mushrooms are made from either by natural drying or smoking the mushroom. Due to the chemical reactions during the drying process, dried shiitake mushrooms are much aromatic than fresh shiitake mushrooms. Consequently, dried shiitake mushrooms are widely used in soups, stir fries and stews in Chinese cuisine.
There are different grades of dried shiitake mushroom and the highest quality level is dried shiitake mushroom from, which is harvested in cold winter season. The huge temperature different within a day makes the surface of the mushrooms cracking. So we have the cracked shiitake mushrooms in winter.
How to rehydrate shiitake mushrooms
Rinse the mushrooms under running water to remove the sands on surface.
Transfer to a pot or bowl and add enough warm water to cover, wait for 2-3 minutes and slightly squeeze the mushrooms to remove the dirt completely.
Transfer the mushrooms to a clean bowl and then re-add enough warm water to cover. Soak until the mushrooms becomes soft. Strain and save the liquid.
Braised Mushrooms with Bok Choy Recipe
Savory braised mushrooms with Bok Choy
Calories: 141 kcal
6 fresh shiitake mushrooms , cut into 4 pieces
4 dried shiitake mushrooms , pre-soaked, can be substituted with fresh shiitake mushrooms
1 tbsp. oyster sauce
2 tbsp. vegetable cooking oil
2 cloves garlic , minced
1/2 tbsp. light soy sauce
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. cornstarch
4 tbsp. water
5~8 bok choy
1. Remove any bad leaves of Bok Choy. Wash carefully and cut into halves if you get larger ones.
2. Wash the shitake mushrooms. And mix all of the ingredients for stir-fry sauce in a small bowl.
3. Heat up around 1 tablespoon of oil in pan and then stir fry garlic slices until aroma. Add shitake mushroom in and fry until soft. During the washing process, shiitake mushroom will absorb some water. If they get too dry and hard to cook, sprinkle some water in.
4. Meanwhile. In a large pot, bring enough water to a boiling and then cook bok choy until soft. Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of oil to keep the green color and crispy taste of Bok Choy. But do not kill your vegetables. Transfer out and lay them in the bottom of the serving plate.
5. Stir in stir fry sauce and wait for around 30 seconds over medium to slow fire until the sauce is appropriately thickened. Transfer the mushrooms to serving plate too and pour over all the sauce left.
Braised Mushrooms with Bok Choy
Amount Per Serving
Calories 141Calories from Fat 108
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 8g50%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.